Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Amritsar Portal, Amritsar Flights, Hotels, and Directory Discussion
20. Nov 2017 at 13:25
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print
Baksheesh / Tips at Airport :) (Read 9108 times)
Pally

Baksheesh / Tips at Airport :)
23. Sep 2005 at 06:12

Hi Guys  ! I'm taking a trip to Amritsar in a month - and I hear of all these airport staff wanting tips/baksheesh.  

How much are they looking for? For those who offer - what do you give?

I frankly don't care to give a few bucks to get something - its not worth my time or hassle.

What will get the job done ? Smiley
Pally

Email   IP Logged
Jackie Shroff

Re: Baksheesh / Tips at Airport :)
Reply #1 - 23. Sep 2005 at 08:39

Not everyone asks for tips yaar

its like when u arrive and they have baggage people take ur suitcases and help ya, you can tip them.

But there isn't much else going on in the way of tips.

HOWEVER, they will proceed to rip you off on everything else. They will charge you for ur suitcase, they will charge you duty fees, they will charge you for giving funny looks, they will charge for having a moustache - its called the moustache duty.  

THE WHOLE AIRPORT IS A SCAM

Email   IP Logged
Davinder Singh

Reply #2 - 23. Sep 2005 at 22:48

I have been to Amritsar airport many times and have not had any problems, nobody asked me for money.  

Delhi is much worse, where even the toilet attendant asks you for money

Email   IP Logged
Harpreet singh

Reply #3 - 24. Sep 2005 at 03:07

Dear friend,

I have been to atleast three airports namely Delhi, Amritsar and Bangalore.

Only in Bangalore i have seen porter asking for a wine bottle which was gently refused by traveller.  

So don't just carried over by views of others. They will just check your Visa and Passport, stamp it and thats it. Best tip is don't take help from porters to lift your lugguage or carry trolly around.  

If someone ask for a tip gently refuse them, but if anyone insists just inform CISF Inspector present at the site (Spot them in Khakhi dress with mettalic stars on his shoulders).

Rememeber even they are human beings and if you scare them they will definately go away to save their necks and jobs.

What i do is .. if someone helped me say a porter or cleaner (if they look very old) is sitting in toilet... give them a smile and give them Rs100 at the most. This is because i feel when we can tip $10 in west to Gora's in restaurants and hotels why can't we tip our own country men... and Rs 100 can buy one days food for them. I know this is wrong but i prefer to give money to them over western world.

cheers

Email   IP Logged
Pally

Reply #4 - 27. Sep 2005 at 10:10

Jackie, Davinder, Harpreet ! Thanks very much for your replies.

I love the moustache duty - ha ha.

I just have 2 roller cases and a backpack between my mom and I who are going. Where would they charge? You mean when we are LEAVING India - they will charge for the check in of basic luggage. Or I assume you mean if you have too much luggage.

What about my camera. Will they ask me to prove that I didn't get it in India. Do I need a receipt or some proof. That is really the only big value item I have on me.

Much thanks
Paul

Email   IP Logged
Harpreet singh

Reply #5 - 27. Sep 2005 at 20:14

While entering India, i was carrying liquor, laptop, didgital camera, Camcorder, etc and similar things while coming back. I haven't paid any bribe. But yes i did pay to one old cleaner own my own !!!

So i don't know why people carry this misconception about bribe at Amritsar. So don't worry as no one will ask u for anything.... if some greedy person ask just report... and please do share your experience after u come back.

Have a nice journey

Email   IP Logged
Pally

Reply #6 - 29. Sep 2005 at 01:52

Thanks Harpreet. ! This is very helpful.

I will definately post after my return.

Best regards

Email   IP Logged
Eagle

Reply #7 - 08. Oct 2005 at 23:07

The best thing is to carry a mineral water bottle at the airport.Usually they mark the suitcases with chalk if they suspect any electronic item.So wipe that mark with wet tissue paper in the rush and walk off from airport. ;)

Email   IP Logged
Jackie Shroff

Reply #8 - 08. Oct 2005 at 23:29

No don't drink water, cos then you will have to use the toilet there.

And trust me, that is an experience you don't want to experience.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print