Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Amritsar Portal, Amritsar Flights, Hotels, and Directory Discussion
25. Mar 2017 at 21:44
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print
Traveling with a 1 year old (Read 7254 times)
soul

Traveling with a 1 year old
07. Oct 2005 at 01:39

we'll be traveling as a family to amritsar (hopefully to amritsar airport)  in jan/feb 06.  we have a one year old and was wondering if anyone has travled with a 12 month to 18 month old child before (from US to India/Amritsar). and may be share their experiences with me.

Should we buy an extra seat?

How should we break up our flight? (go from the east coast to europe and then catch a flight to amritsar or go straight from newark to delhi and drive 7 hours to amritsar?)

Where is the best place to sit on a plane with a child?

How much trouble are we going to see at the airport (as none of us are indian citizens but we are Sikh)?

I feel that people prey on people who are vulnerable like people with family and kids...or people with handicap.  

Should we take a car seat with us?  Do the cars there have some sort of car seats?

How much food and water should we take for our child?

Should we let the child eat or drink the food there?  

Does the child have to be in a bubble the whole time there?Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Jackie Shroff

Re: Traveling with a 1 year old
Reply #1 - 07. Oct 2005 at 02:27

Bring some extra money...cos officials at Amritsar will no doubt charge you duty for the nappy your baby is wearing.

Email   IP Logged
Harpreet singh

Reply #2 - 07. Oct 2005 at 02:54

Dear Friend,

I am pointing it out again and again, don't try to put bad image of India which even you are not sure of.

Coming to your problem. If i were in US trying to fly to Amritsar directly i would have prefered Singapore Airlines. But if you think you want to take some other flight... How about taking flight connection such as you reach Delhi Airport before 11 pm (Indian Standard time) and catch Air India flight from Delhi to Amritsar. KLM from Amsterdam, Virgin Atlantic from London are good ones to take to Delhi. Another flight is Indian Airlines from Delhi to Amritsar which is sometime after 11am or so ( i can check these timings if you wish).

You can also take any flight to reach delhi and catch Shatabdi express (train) from Delhi to Amritsar (i found it more comfortable then any train in UK). It is fully AC and catered for free. You can book it online as well.

Imagine Delhi Airport handles flight from almost every country these days... they are very professional now. Amritsar airport is bit under developed but people are not as bad as painted here. They don't have that mush time in Delhi airport to nag you for anything. You can spot police in Khakhi dress and report if anything strange happens.

From Delhi Airport you can take prepaid(at the airport ask any staff for prepaid window) Taxi for Station (new delhi railways station) and catch train. Few bus operators have special buses plying from Delhi airport to Amritsar. They are excellent in comfort etc.

So best bet is Singapore airlines... or catching Air India midnight flight to reach amritsar after reaching Delhi or catching train for Amritsar.

Please don't hesitate to contact any Indian (people who have actually lived in India) for further help and advice.

But as you know Human nature is always bad so you might end up appraoched by some blue color person at airports for tip but you can shoe them away if you don't want to offer tip to them.

Harpreet Singh
www.harpreetsingh.tk

Email   IP Logged
Harpreet singh

Reply #3 - 07. Oct 2005 at 02:57

Shatabdi catering is free so please don't mistake it for free ticket...

cheers

Email   IP Logged
soul

Reply #4 - 08. Oct 2005 at 08:07

harpreet thank you!  i checked out shatabdi but there were so many shatabdi's.  and when i wanted "sleeper class" there was none (no trains) from delhi to amritsar?  how is that possible?  

here're my options without flying to amritsar:
1. a car can pick us up at delhi to take us to amritsar
2. we can take a "sleeper train" to amritsar which i'm assuming has single beds and is first class.  is that right?

so my questions about option 1 is how comfortable are the cars there for 7 hours?  is it better to take a train to straighten out our backs instead?

we're getting to delhi after 10:00pm

option 2.  is the trains...i don't think there's a train that leaves at night from delhi to amritsar is there?

thank you in advance for all the help guys!

Email   IP Logged
Davinder Singh

Reply #5 - 08. Oct 2005 at 17:37

You could fly Air Deccan which flies twice daily from Amritsar to Delhi in the morning and evening.

Email   IP Logged
Harpreet singh

Reply #6 - 09. Oct 2005 at 01:00

Dear friend,

Shatabdi is just a chair car .. seats can bend upto 30 degree ... but if you are looking for sleeper first class.

There are more than 25 trains to Amritsar from Delhi.

Go to website and search for First AC while selecting seat option (http://www.indianrail.gov.in/) select trai8n between important station.

Best options are

Golden temple mail leaving New delhi at 1935 and reaching Amritsar at 0615hrs

Pashim express leaving delhi at 1055 and reaching Amritsar at 1935

Only few trains have First AC so you can try Second Ac which is very good. 9 Trains are in between New Delhi and Amritsar

Do not take sleeper class as no one will allow you to sleep in day time (Laloo rules for Indian railways), but for night time they are fine. I am talking about general sleeper class.

Alternatively... How about flying to toronto and catching Air India flight to Amritsar (better than changing between london and Birmingham)

You can try various airlines too from Delhi

Air India (http://www.airindia.com/) departing Delhi at 0730 and arriving Amritsar at 0825 ( only on wed, fri and sunday)
depart 0115 arrival at 0210 (only wed)

Air Deccan (www.airdeccan.net) two flights from Delhi to Amritsar ( they will allow only 15 Kg of lugguage and it is cheap airlines so inflight free meals or snacks)

Depart 0850 and arriving at 1015
depart 1830 and arriving at 1950

Indian Airlines (http://indian-airlines.nic.in) two flights

depart 1110 arrival at 1205
depart 1700 arrival at 1755

I think Taxi is the best option from Delhi to Amritsar (get it from amritsar as it works out cheap). Not more than Rs 4500 in any case or (110 USD).

Have fun

Harpreet

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print