News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Reply Send Topic Print
luggage (Read 25453 times)
GSP

Re: luggage
Reply #15 - 08. Nov 2005 at 21:09

The sardars may be on a power trip but dont isolate this to just Amritsar. I can remember many years ago Delhi airport being the same, even now staff have a chip on their shoulder for the fact that they are working in the airport which is regarded a good position. Delhi used to give the same hassle and yet was a fully international airport. Amritsar is getting better, the busier it gets the less problems people will encounter.

Unfortunatley the rest is not a straight forward issue. Please note that something exceptional happened to Sikhs in India. With the killings in Delhi and the constant harrasment by the police and breach of human rights (call it terrorism or freedom fighting whichever side you are on), during this time lots of the young Sikhs who were the future of punjab went abroad and settled. This left the elderley and the very very young, a lot of foreign money was sent to the parents, now the youngster have grown up and dont want to work or put any effort, they want the lifestyle but not the effort.  

The new generation are into easy money, drugs is a MAJOR problem in punjab, and most  are relying on their parents wealth or what little they have.  

Punjab is the one state that recieves the worst treatment and gives one of the most. Hopefully it is changing. Personally I want to spent time in India and become part of soviety there, i know its not great but its a experience!! If we really think about it our western worlds arent that great apart from the money, but the expenses are there as well!

Email   IP Logged
Singh

Re: luggage
Reply #16 - 09. Nov 2005 at 06:00

??? undecided kiss cry Roll Eyes ??? 8) Shocked Angry
Guys... yeah I have been to Amritsar Airport 2/3 times and Delhi 5/6 Times.
As soon as you land there and go through the checks you know these guys are on a power trip. As long as you have nothing illegal. You should have no fear. Taking gifts for friend within reason is ok. I have never paid a penny to a customs person. Altough been hassled many times and spent 3 hours on one occassion, repeatdly being asked to put my suitcase through thexray machine. I stood my ground firm. Told them if you want to charge me customes duty then I have no problem. Just cut me a proper Govt receipt. as I had nothing to declare they let me go. Im afarid thats the way it is there and a large magority still suppliment their income in this way.It happens all over the world

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Reply Send Topic Print