Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Amritsar Portal, Amritsar Flights, Hotels, and Directory Discussion
23. Mar 2017 at 20:07
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print
What food served at Golden Temple? (Read 5848 times)
Erik(Guest)

What food served at Golden Temple?
16. Dec 2005 at 10:07

Hello all,

We visited the Golden Temple two years ago. It was a wonderful experience of spirituality and truly impressed us.  

One thing we were unaware of beforehand was the generous tradition of serving a meal to all visitors. My question is, what is being served? I can recall the lentil soup, but there was also something very spicy (to a Northern European palate cry !) that I cannot recall the name of ...

Best regards,
Erik from Sweden

Email   IP Logged
waves(Guest)

Re: What food served at Golden Temple?
Reply #1 - 17. Dec 2005 at 10:01

it may be pickles.......

Email   IP Logged
Erik(Guest)

Reply #2 - 21. Dec 2005 at 01:49

nope - too easy. Was a little rolled ball of some kind. Very hot ... I'd love to prepare it at home to serve those who could not make it to Amritsar themselves

What is it, anyone??

Thanks -- ERik

Email   IP Logged
Maya(Guest)

Reply #3 - 21. Dec 2005 at 09:27

Erik, what you are describing here sounds very much like chick pea curry(otherwise known as choleh). This is a type of dried pulse which is boiled until tender and then added to a spicy tomato sauce.  

A firm favourite with vegetarian and non vegetarians alike!

Email   IP Logged
Desi(Guest)

Reply #4 - 21. Dec 2005 at 12:58

Sholay if they are small looking round balls - size of marbles, white coloured. Someone probably added a bit too many chilli's which can happen.....

Email   IP Logged
waves(Guest)

Reply #5 - 23. Dec 2005 at 18:55

well eric.....can u pls tell us whether these small rolls were present in large number soaked in a thick gravy (or curry) ???
if this is what you have eaten , then i bet it to be chick pea curry.....

you can search its recipe in the web and if it is difficult to find chick peas in your country than if you want , i can send you chick peas from here (in japan)....

but one thing i want to remind you is that this is not really the taste of Indian masala's or the way how to make it but its the taste (Sawad) of Love(Pyar) and the Gurbani Waves(meditation/Kirtan/Path) and the devotion that continously goes through the food  while sangat (gathering ) makes it.

If you get all these, you can even prepare that at home.

hope you will visit the golden temple again....

regards

waves

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print