Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Amritsar Portal, Amritsar Flights, Hotels, and Directory Discussion
25. Jun 2017 at 21:47
News:
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Direct Amritsar-London flights (Read 30138 times)
musafir
YaBB Newbies

Direct Amritsar-London flights
16. Feb 2006 at 22:28

Direct flights from Amritsar to London soon
Sarbjit Dhaliwal
Tribune News Service  

Chandigarh, February 16
Direct flights to London from Amritsar will become a reality soon. The Union Minister for Civil Aviation, Mr Praful Patel, today cleared a proposal of Jet Airways to start such flights on a regular basis.

Mr M.S. Gill, Member of the Rajya Sabha, told The Tribune on the phone from Delhi that Mr Patel had met him this morning in Parliament House. “Mr Patel told me that there was good news for the people of Punjab. He said that he had cleared the Jet Airways proposal to start direct flights from Amritsar to London”, said Mr Gill.

“I have been regularly pursuing this matter with the Civil Aviation Ministry. As a substantial number of people from Punjab visit London every year, the starting of direct flights to that city from Amritsar will be a big facility for them. In the absence of regular direct flights to London, people were facing problems”, said Mr Gill. “As Mr Naresh Goel, Chairman of Jet Airways, belongs to Patiala, I urged him to start operations from Amritsar at the earliest”, added Mr Gill.

“Mr Patel also told me that low-tariff flights will also start from Amritsar to Dubai on the Kerala pattern by March-end. People from this region are employed in large numbers in Dubai and neighbouring countries such as Kuwait”, said Mr Gill.  

Smiley Cool

View Profile   IP Logged
musafir
YaBB Newbies

Re: Direct Amritsar-London flights
Reply #1 - 16. Feb 2006 at 22:30

this is very good news! If BA starts flights to ATQ this would be brilliant, but on the down side the ticket prices are so high, same as Air India from Birmingham to Amritsar/Delhi.

View Profile   IP Logged
musafir
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 16. Feb 2006 at 22:31

please write your own views about direct flights from ATQ to LHR/LGW.

View Profile   IP Logged
Davinder Singh(Guest)

Reply #3 - 17. Feb 2006 at 13:42

Does anybody know when these flights are starting? There seems to be a big lag time between getting permission and sarting flights. Anybody got contacts with JET airways?

Also the frequency of flights per week would be good to know.

Email   IP Logged
AmritsarTravel
YaBB Newbies

To Amritsar and
Beyond......with
Amritsar Travel

Reply #4 - 18. Feb 2006 at 10:10

Davinder,

We were informed that Jet Airways flights were going to start 1st week in November 2005! and then it went quiet. It can't be too long because they have been planning this for sometime and they need to be ready for the peak July/August traffic. Will post here has soon as we have it confirmed. Regards Amritsar.Travel

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mr Dhaliwal(Guest)

Reply #5 - 18. Feb 2006 at 10:31

It will be nice if likes of jet airways starts a london to amritsar flight, especially using there "A340" aircrafts as they can take more people,which would me less disapointment of not getting a seat. Also it would me more cargo space.

So Jet airways please dont keep us waiting any longer.

Email   IP Logged
AmritsarTravel
YaBB Newbies

To Amritsar and
Beyond......with
Amritsar Travel

Reply #6 - 18. Feb 2006 at 10:36

I agree Mr Dhalliwal, but the A340 requires a long runway and extenstive modifcations to the Airport because of its size and capacity. Even Delhi and London Heathrow airports will need to be modified for the A340. For Amritsar, any of the existing Airbus aircrafts would help and a London to Amritsar non stop flight would be excellent.

Mr Dhaliwal(Guest)

Reply #7 - 18. Feb 2006 at 11:48

I do not know where you are getting your information about your comments on the A340 aircraft, if a b777 can land ( which does at present "singapore airlines and air india") at amritsar. The A340 is more than capable of landing there. As far as your comments about london airport, thats not true either. I should know as I am a airport engineer working at a top London airport.  

So  from all the punjabis, come on Jet airways start your flights with A340 aircrafts to Amritsar ASAP.

Email   IP Logged
AmritsarTravel
YaBB Newbies

To Amritsar and
Beyond......with
Amritsar Travel

Reply #8 - 18. Feb 2006 at 12:06

Sorry - yes you are right, I was referring to the new 555 seater A380 which has yet to be released and for which airports will have to be modified to cater for the extra capacity.

Mr Dhaliwal(Guest)

Reply #9 - 18. Feb 2006 at 13:41

Thats alright, I just wish although the punjabis out NRI,S and at the punjab government level get together and start lobbing for  major international airlines to fly to Amritsar, as not not only, will this bring the much needed "Revenue"  to this state but also the export as well as employement facilities.

Email   IP Logged
Guest in Delhi(Guest)

Reply #10 - 19. Feb 2006 at 00:06

I have just travelled with Jet Airways from London to Delhi and their service is fantastic! I will definately recommend Jet as they truly do treat their passengers in a first class manner. If they commence flights to Amritsar from London, I am sure that they will set an excellent standard for other airlines to follow.

Well done Jet Airways! Please continue with the goodwork. I am glad that once the Air Sahara acquistion is completed that you are the ideal airline to represent India rather than Air India.

Email   IP Logged
Davinder Singh(Guest)

Reply #11 - 19. Feb 2006 at 08:50

When the Jet airways flight is intoduced they need to have a daily frequency. The 3 times a week flight by Air India from Birmingham has shown to be inadequate. If 60% of passengers want to go to the Punjab from Delhi airport , BA and Virgin could easily introduce further services to Amritsar.

Email   IP Logged
mr Dhaliwal(Guest)

Reply #12 - 19. Feb 2006 at 12:18

Davinder, I totally agree with you, but what needs to happen is that, this issue needs to be taken up at the punjab government level, i.e. the chief minster standing up for the rights of punjab and its NRIs, then we might see some action.

Email   IP Logged
Desi(Guest)

Reply #13 - 20. Feb 2006 at 08:37

I agree - Jet Airways flying to Amritsar is what we need - it is about we had some real competition to Air India and then Virgin will follow Jet.

Email   IP Logged
gsr(Guest)

Reply #14 - 21. Feb 2006 at 19:26

im sure that amritsar can deal with a ab-340, because its runaway size is 10,700. Hyderabad is about 9,000 and Bangalore is 10,800. Amritsar can deal with aircraft sizes from B767 to A-330, maybe A340.
Its unlikely it would have a A-380 landing here and taking the entire space of the apron.

Has departure lounge opened yet, as in next month i'll see it for myself.

Please let me know if more building works(expansion on new building) ASAP.

Email   IP Logged
gillsing(Guest)

Reply #15 - 22. Feb 2006 at 08:48

The departure hall at Amritsar Airport has been open few days back. I spoke to the  Singapore Airline Office at the Airport yesterday they told me that all passangers are now going trough the new departure hall. But it has not been opened officially yet. It will take a few days more for Minister praful patel to open it officially.

Email   IP Logged
gillsing(Guest)

Reply #16 - 22. Feb 2006 at 08:50

The departure hall at Amritsar Airport has been open few days back. I spoke to the  Singapore Airline Office at the Airport yesterday they told me that all passangers are now going trough the new departure hall. But it has not been opened officially yet. It will take a few days more for Minister praful patel to open it officially.

Email   IP Logged
S D(Guest)

Reply #17 - 22. Feb 2006 at 11:26

According to World aero data the defind length of Amritsar airport's runway is 10791 ft (3289 metres ) if overrun length is added then it is 11191 ft (3411 metres) which is enough for any wide body aircraft to take off with maximum take off weight (MTOW) including Airbus A380. A380 requires 2995 metres length only. Because it has a wing span of 79 metres, some of the obstacles at airport's runways ,taxiways aprons and aerobridges to be removed to accomadate the aircraft. Amritsar airport is in expansion stage I hope one of the four aerobridges being constructed would be able to accomodate A380, otherwise it has to be parked remotley (ie on the apron )
                                                 The new departure lounge was opened on 9th of Feb 2006 by Mr A K Mishra an AAI official. The front picture of the lounge is in daily ajit jalandhar's newspaper of 10th Feb.
Many people just guess about airports and aviation related news on your website. I have extensive knowledge on this subject. My next focus will be on the development of Halwara airport.

Email   IP Logged
musafir
YaBB Newbies

Reply #18 - 22. Feb 2006 at 11:40

Etihad to expand operations in south India
- -  
New Delhi: Etihad Airways, the national airline of United Arab Emirates, is planning to start direct services from Abu Dhabi to south Indian destinations by the year-end.  

The cities in focus include Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai. At present, the airline operates 10 flights a week from India to Abu Dhabi -- seven from Mumbai and three from Delhi. ''Our next focus will be south Indian destinations,'' said Charles Phelps-Penry, regional general manager (Asia Pacific) for Etihad Airways.  

''In 2006, we plan to double our network on Indian routes. We are in talks with the Indian government for securing flying rights. We are also planning to enhance the existing flight schedule in India.'' Besides south Indian cities, the airline is also contemplating to connect Amritsar and Kolkata in the near future.  

View Profile   IP Logged
musafir
YaBB Newbies

Reply #19 - 23. Feb 2006 at 10:07

This is the site for the new terminal opening. Bottom page where it says "Amritsar Komantri Hawai Adda", written in Punjabi. Could someone translate the news report in English, so that if anyone doensnt knows how to read or understand Punjabi then they will hopefuly understand the translation in English.  

http://www.ajitjalandhar.com/20060210/  

It looks like a gurdwara style. Does it has a dome on the top? When are they going to put boards on it. What will happen to the old terminal? Will they dismantle it or keep it?  

Please let me know ASAP.

View Profile   IP Logged
musafir
YaBB Newbies

Reply #20 - 21. Mar 2006 at 17:53

NRI to connect India with new airline  

PUMMY KAUL  
Posted online: Monday, March 20, 2006 at 0339 hours IST  
Updated: Monday, March 20, 2006 at 1319 hours IST

NEW DELHI, MARCH 20:  UK-based NRI Dave Bance is planning to launch a point-to-point scheduled airline connecting Heathrow and India by the end of 2006. The proposed airline to be called Bance Air will have a fleet of four leased Boeing 777s and will operate three daily flights to three non-metro destinations in India in a bid to cater to the increasing visiting friends and relatives (VFR) market in the UK and India.  
According to Mr Bance, who was in the Capital last week, Bance Air has obtained a scheduled airline license from the British civil aviation authority four months ago. It has also secured permission to fly into two destinations in India from the ministry of civil aviation, India. Permission to fly in to the third destination is, however, pending.  

Industry analysts, however, are skeptical about the business proposal and wonder how much of an impact will the proposed airline make on the sector which has got extremely crowded since the new air services agreement was signed last year. At present, there are almost two dozen airlines operating on the route like Lufthansa, KLM, Air India, Royal Jordanian, Air France, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, SriLankan Airlines, British Midland besides Jet and Air Sahara.  

"We are projecting a 70% load factor on our flights and we will have only two class configuration of business and economy," says Bance explaining his business model. "A lot of British Asians often waste a lot of time reaching directly to their hometowns in India. I plan to make their journey a bit less tedious by connecting direct flights to these select destinations," Mr Bance said, refusing to divulge the cities he's going to fly into.  

FIGHTING FOR THE PIE  
LIN HIGHER CIRCUIT
• Plan to have three daily flights to three non-metro destinations in India
• Traget being visiting friends and relatives  
(VFR) market in UK, India  
• Idea is to make journey less tedious by  
linking to select destinations  
NOD NEEDED
• Scheduled airline licence from the British civil aviation authority secured
• Permission to fly into third destination pending  
Currently, bulk of the flights originating from the UK are connecting business hub Mumbai, and other metros like New Delhi, Kolkatta, Chennai and Banaglore. However, cash-rich smaller cities such as Ahmedabad and Amritsar have also come on the route lately.  

As per the data available with visitbritian.com about 37% of visitors from India to UK come for the purpose of visiting VFR, 32% come for business and 21% for a holiday. The proportion of holiday visitors has dropped in the past 6 years whereas the VFR market share increased from 21% in 1999.  

Initial investment in the airline (excluding the cost of leased aircraft) has been $40 million. The 70 million pound Bance group has business interest in manufacturing, real estate and hotel investment, IT & Telecommunications and Film & musical industry business.

View Profile   IP Logged
musafir(Guest)

Reply #21 - 19. Apr 2006 at 14:38

Airline boss spreads his wings
By Tom Bawden

Naresh Goyal, the founder of Jet Airways, is one of a wave of Indian tycoons who are aiming to take on the world - outside of outsourcing  

THEY have become something of a cultural cliché: outsourced Indian call centres, dealing, sometimes unintelligibly, with punters from Poole trying to solve problems that once were dealt with closer to home. The image is unfair, you might argue, but it has stuck. India is conquering the outsourcing world.  
More to the point, it may be only a taste of things to come. If China seems set on domination in manufacturing, India has made its métier the wider services industry. And, again, it is taking aim at Britain.  

“The UK is one of our main targets,” says Naresh Goyal, the founder of Jet Airways. “It has so much in common with India, in part because of the historical ties. One great thing you gave us is the language.”  

Goyal, 57, is one of the emerging breed of Indian billionaire entrepreneurs leading the charge. Fellow members of India Inc include the Ambani brothers, who recently split the family’s Reliance Industries conglomerate in two after a protracted dispute. Sunil Mittal, the founder and chief executive of Bharti, the telecoms group in which Vodafone bought a 10 per cent stake in October, is another. Although little known in Britain, they will probably become well-known business figures in the next decade as India looks to broaden its dominance away from outsourcing.  

Goyal and his peers see their futures as linked. “In India, everybody knows everybody, it is the way we operate,” he says. “And we are all working together to promote India Inc.”  

Goyal, for his part, is working to introduce the first flights to India from regional airports in Britain after the Indian Government this month cleared his proposed $500 million (£285 million) takeover of the rival Air Sahara to create the country’s biggest airline by far. In what would mark the beginning of a new generation of provincial flights to India, Goyal plans to begin services from Manchester and Birmingham next year.  

Britain has 1.42 million people of Indian ancestry, who make up a large percentage of the passengers flying to India. However, the proportion of passengers with no connection to India is increasing, as the country’s rapid economic growth creates a more general interest in the country as a holiday destination.  

About 1.5 million people are expected to fly from Britain to India in the year to October, according to the Civil Aviation Authority, nearly triple the 641,250 recorded five years ago.  

Goyal has amassed an estimated $1.9 billion fortune since setting up Jet Airways in 1993, shortly after India kick-started its programme of economic liberalisation.  

In a fast-growing economy, demand for domestic flights has surged in the past decade, with year-on-year growth hitting 40 per cent in the first three months of this year.  

Goyal, who lives with his wife and teenage son and daughter in a house overlooking Regent’s Park — a far cry from his impoverished childhood dwelling in Patiala, in the state of Punjab — has tapped that demand. By 2002, Jet Airways had become India’s biggest domestic airline. He says: “Most people in India had never dreamt of flying, which was the preserve of business people and the elite. But the growing economy, combined with lower fares as a result of increasing competition and a young population, has led to a huge growth in the market.”  

Jet Airways floated on the Bombay Stock Exchange in March last year and began flying to London two months later, after the British and Indian governments loosened the restrictions on which carriers could fly between the two countries.  

Jet Airways presently flies from Delhi and Bombay to Heathrow, but it plans to add a new route in July from Amritsar, in Punjab. Its international flights are confined to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Kathmandu, Colombo and London, but Goyal has ordered 20 new aircraft worth about $2.5 billion and plans many more routes.  

The United States, which has about two million people of Indian descent, is Jet Airways’ other main target and Goyal plans to begin flying from India to New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco over the next two to three years. Over the same period he aims to introduce flights to Zurich, Rome, Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, Madrid, Shanghai, Beijing, Bangkok, Johannesburg, Mauritius, Nairobi, Toronto and Vancouver.  

Goyal can trace his business empire to the streets of Punjab, where, from the age of 10, he would accompany his father, a jewellery dealer, as he hawked his wares. “I learnt how to think like a businessman and how to behave. My father was very polite, humble and courteous and people respected him for that. You can’t do business without respect and you can’t just ask for it, it has to be earned.”  

Email   IP Logged
gillsing
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 01. Jun 2006 at 17:37

Crew crunch delays launch of AI's Amritsar-Dubai flight
Amit Agnihotri
[ Wednesday, May 31, 2006 02:31:01 amTIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

RSS Feeds| SMS NEWS to 8888 for latest updates  

CHANDIGARH: The Amritsar-Dubai flight of Air India Express, the low cost airliner, which was scheduled to start by May 1 this year was delayed due to non-availability of trained cabin and operation crew and the focus shifting to Chennai-Kuala Lumpur and Chennai-Singapore routes.  

An Air India spokesman from Mumbai, confirming this to TOI, said, "Yes, the flight has got slightly delayed and is likely to start mid July."  

He said the Amritsar-Dubai flight got pushed back as the focus of AI shifted to Chennai-Kuala Lumpur and Chennai-Singapore routes, where traffic density is more. These two will be started by June 8.  

"We did not initially plan flights six days a week on Chennai-Kuala Lumpur and Chennai-Singapore routes, but are doing so now. Next in line are the Mumbai-Dubai and Pune-Dubai flights," said a senior official of Air India.  

Other reasons for the delay of Amritsar-Dubai flight was the time being taken in training and deploying cabin and operations crew.  

The Air India has in the past two months added four new 737-800 airplanes to its fleet, which have a seating capacity of 181 in economy configuration, to be deployed on the new low-cost airliner routes. Making additional trained crew available and introducing them to the new craft is taking time.  

"Training them and introducing them to the new planes normally takes three to four months," said an official. Air India CMD, V Thulasidas had announced in March this year that their low-cost airliner would start Amritsar-Dubai flight by May 1.  

He was here to announce AI's three extra flights per week on the Amritsar-Birmingham-Toronto route.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print