MY CITY (Read 4485 times)
artikabakshi
YaBB Newbies

I love being a
member of Amritsar
Portal!

MY CITY
26. Apr 2006 at 07:41

I AM AN NRI CURRENTLY IN SRI LANKA AND COME TWICE A YEAR TO INDIA AND NO VISIT CAN BE COMPLETE WITHOUT GOING TO AMRITSAR AS MY FAMILY IS THERE AND I AM PROUD TO BELONG TO THIS GREAT CITY, WHICH IS THE HIGHEST SEAT OF GOD FOR ALL SIKHS IN THE WORLD.
THE PEOPLE ARE THE SWEETEST, BUT THE STATE OF THIS CITY IS REALLY PITIABLE. I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE LOCAL GOVT IS DOING. THE STREETS, TRAFFIC AND GENERAL RUNNING OF THE CITY IS IN SUCH A DISARRAY AND GOD FORBID IF YOU ARE THERE DURING ANY POLITICAL RALLY OR RELIGIOUS FESTIVAL. THE CITY STOPS FUNCTIONING THEN!!!!!!
THE PROBLEM LIES WITH US, THE PEOPLE OF AMRITSAR(EVEN THOUGH I AM NO LONGER A RESIDENT, I CALL MYSELF AN AMTITSARI), WE ELECT THE LOCAL BODIES, WHO DO NOTHING!!!! WE TOO ARE TO BLAME,BECUAE IF EACH OF US CONTRIBUTED BY PRACTISING CIVIC SENSE AND HELPING THE OTHERS RECOGNISE THE IMPORTANCE OF CIVIC AND HYGENIC RESPONSIBILITIES, OUR CITY WOULD STAND OUT.
I WOULD LIKE TO APPEAL TO THE LOCAL MUNICIPAL OFFICIALS, THE TRAFFIC POLICE AND ALL THE PEOPLE OF TIS GREAT CITY TO TAKE PRIDE IN IT. LETS NOT TARNISH EVERYONE'S VISIT TO THE GREAT GOLDEN TEMPLE BY EMBEDDING IN THEIR MEMORIES THE HARDSHIPS FACED BY THEM IN GETTING THERE.
PLEASE KEEP OUR BEAUTIFUL CITY CLEAN AND ORGANIZED

View Profile   IP Logged
Admin
YaBB Administrator

Amritsar Portal

Re: MY CITY
Reply #1 - 11. May 2007 at 07:37

Amritsar city development project reports hang fire  
Ajay Banerjee
Tribune News Service  

Chandigarh, May 7
Two days after Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal “approved” the Rs 3,150-crore Amritsar city development plan, the fact that the Detailed Project Report (DPR) is yet to be submitted to the Union Government does not help matters.  

Punjab has been lagging far behind in implementing the partly Centre-sponsored project.  

The DPR, which is mandatory to make the Government of India pool in its share, had been delayed for more than a year.

Yesterday’s approval only reflects that Punjab Government has agreed to pay up its share of money for the projects. While the Union Ministry of Urban Development had approved the Amritsar city development plan in September 2006, the previous Congress regime had failed to get the important DPRs drafted. This resulted in Punjab not getting any funds even as other states took the lead and began with their projects.

It is being felt that without submitting the DPRs and getting the same approved by the Union Urban Development Ministry, yesterday’s approval would hold no meaning on the ground. Officials say the “approval” was required for the project to start in a state.  

The municipal corporation is supposed to prepare the DPR and no action has been taken despite the Union Ministry of Urban Development crying hoarse over the issue. Sources say the government now intends to engage private consultants in order to speed things up.

More than a year ago, Amritsar and Ludhiana were selected along with 61 other cities across the country under the Jawharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) programmes. However, these Punjab cities have lagged behind.

The website of JNNURM gives a detailed account of the status of the Amritsar and the Ludhiana projects. The Ludhiana project costs Rs 2,053 crore.  

The Centre was supposed to fund 50 per cent of the Rs 3150-crore Amritsar project. The state government and the municipal corporation were to fund 20 per cent and 30 per cent, respectively. This means that about Rs 1,575 crore would have to be borne by the state.  

Punjab, mostly due to its own doing, has not got a single paisa for the Ludhiana project while a sum of Rs 22 crore has been released for a part of the Amritsar development project, i.e., water supply, sewerage and sanitation projects.

The DPRs are required for the Rs-2567 crore mass raid transport system and elevated road project, for the Rs 105-crore tourism projects and the Rs-120 crore housing projects.

Admin:
Gian Dhian Kichh Karam Na Jana, Sar Na Jana Teri. Sabb Tey Vada Satgur Nanak, Jin Kai Rakhi Meri
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print